Friday, December 7, 2012

Only twenty million

Based on an incident that occurred during the time I served as Chairman of the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority between 2007 and 09. The conversation herein is between a hopeful developer of  a tourist resort and I. 
 

"He wanted twenty million,
for access to the land.
Would you believe it?"

"Twenty million Rupees for that island
is such a bargain!"
"How in the world did you get it,
so damn cheap?"

"No, no, that is not
the value of the island’s land,
it is what,
the local politico wanted from me,
to give me access to the island,
from the mainland."

"The land was a lease, on a top level decree ...
This was only to get,
the Land officer to approve the access."

"What a fiasco?
We must inform the very top.
Will you give this to me in writing?"

"In writing? 
I will get killed if I do...."
"...You know,
if only,
had he asked,
for two million and not twenty,
we could have been in business."

"He is too greedy,
and wants to make a fast buck."

What else could I do,
But laugh-out loud?

When all are silent,
No song will be sung.
Without givers,
Can there be takers?
 

Renton de Alwis
June 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment