Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Give me this day … my life


Why me?
Why us?
Caged.
 
For they fought
A battle and called it ours.
 
Why me?
Why us?
We did not hurt any.

We did not know,
what they wanted,
what we wanted,
for our simple lives
were beyond it all.

Why me?
Why us?
They are no more.

But we go on suffering,
for sins of others.

The priest once said
Jesus Christ did just that,
suffered for other’s sins.

I am not,
we are not,
with any call from God,
or anyone else,
willing to suffer for the sins of others.

Please hear me out,
in God’s name
I do not,
we do not,
wish to be caged,
even when freedom is a far cry.

We need to fly …
Fly far and afar.

Please give me wings.
But before that
some water,
some food,
a better shelter,
my dignity, my honour,
my land, my life.

 
Renton de Alwis
Written in June 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment