Thursday, December 13, 2012

Nepotism

 

“Kage Kauwda?
Gama Koheda?
Eya, Meya, Areya;
Oyata, Kauwrun Wenawada?"

I sat still … amazed,
disgusted.
The truth is,
I knew,
the answers.

Yet,
I didn’t care
to know.
I never dared to remember.

I loved
my ‘Amma and Thatha’.
Heard
of my Seeya and Aacchi.
in my childhood.

They are,
or were,
but
now,
long gone.

Met
my cousins,
a few other relatives,
and Loku Amma,
clan’s matchmaker,
who,
then amused me with her,
tales,
of the whose-who’s …

and

Sudu Nenda.
She often came
to see me
with a bag of Kirala.

I moved on in life.
Loved them all,
never, carried
them,
on my back.

Until,
this day,
when,
I sat across,
this round table,
at the
wedding of my friend,
with the socialites,
in their
Sunday best,
dolled up,
smelling
of incense like perfume,
chose
to inquire.
Play God,
to stand
in judgement,
if I,
should be offered,
involuntary,
honorary membership
of their CLUB.

I chose
to sprint away,
away,
away from it all,
in my mind’s eye,
to be free,
be freed,
from the shackle
of their chains.

For,
what matters,
is not,
whose-who, I am,   
but
who, I am. 


Written by Renton de Alwis in June 2009

Foot notes:
Opening stanzas in Sinhala - "From which village are you? Whose who are you? So and so and so and so; How are they related to you?"
Amma , Thatha - Mother and Father
Seeya, Achchi - Grand father and Grand mother
Kirala - A fruit (mangrove) that grows in abundance at the edge of lagoons and/or close to river mouths 

No comments:

Post a Comment