Monday, March 25, 2013

Rain, rain go away ...

by Renton de Alwis


Not just to make
my day bright
though it's alright
to bring me shine

I am cross with you
for you came
uninvited
when my friends
are yet to bring
their harvest in

Did you not hear
our Kovula
^ song
cries of herons
peacock yearns
let my friends
hear ‘Bhutaya’*  groan
let their kids sing
an Auvrudhu
°  song
 
Written on this rainy morn of 25th March, 2013

^  Kovula – Bird with a sweet song, associated with celebration of Sinhala/Tamil New Year
*Bhutaya is the name villagers call the harvesting machines that operate even in villages for the lack of folk to perform collective tasks (Attham) as was done in the past.
°  Avurudhu - Sinhala/Hindu Luner New Year celebrations  due next month
 
 
 
Shared Google Image

No comments:

Post a Comment